Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Getting Back Into The Swing of Things


Yesterday sucked... I started having pains in my chest and stomach, which led to a late night ER visit. Final prognosis was Gastritis, which beats the hell out of a heart attack or ulcers. Either way, I have an upcoming trip to the gastrologist to look forward to. They also told me that I have to stay away from spicy foods, beer, caffeine for two weeks.... I swear, I thought they were about to tell me that I couldn't fly fish either to complete the worst emasculation of my life. That being said, I have two steelhead trips upcoming that shine hope into my dark present. 

Michigan
Ok, I don't want to get into the west coast vs great lakes debate with anyone, so lets just say that I will be swinging flies at anadromous fish. I grew up here and know the waters well. Michigan has had a redonkeylous fall so far and steelhead seem to be trickling in already. By the time this trip comes, I will be back on the bad food and booze train, so things will shape up nicely. I will have turkey, gravy, deviled eggs, steelhead, mashed taters, green bean casserole, lake run browns, Notre Dame football and beer.... It will be glorious...

Portland
Shortly after I get back from Michigan, I will head to the opposite coast. My better half is going to PDX to visit their zoo and benchmark their Zoo Lights event. She is in charge of the same event at the Denver Zoo, so this is an actual job requirement. Not a bad gig (Go to Denver Zoo lights, btw). I will only have a couple days to get out onto some water and have a couple buds that are going to show me around. I have fished for steelhead in CA, ID and all over the Midwest but never in Oregon. So I am in a school girl trance right now, dreaming about fishing the Deschutes and Sandy. I am not sure what river(s) I will fish, but wherever I end up, I will be grinning ear-to-ear. Until that day comes, I will continue not drinking beer or eating spicy food. 

Let me tell you something: you're suspect. Yeah you. I don't know what your reputation is, in this town, but after the shit you tried to pull today, you can bet I'll be lookin' into you. Now, the business we have here to fore, you can speak with my aforementioned attorney. Good day gentlemen, and until that day comes, keep your ear to the grindstone.




1 comment: