Monday, February 20, 2012

Back To The Start


Back to the Start from Comodín de la Helvetica on Vimeo.

WARNING - NON FISHING POST: Anybody that knows me knows how I feel about factory farming. It's why I don't eat fast food. It's why I eventually want to get back to my roots and live on a working, sustainable farm. Killing animals is how food gets on the table and I don't have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is keeping 100 chickens in a small cage, stuffed together with all of their beaks cut so they don't kill each other. Beef is wonderful, but I don't want to participate in pumping cattle so filled with hormones that they become zombies. These are both examples of how your chicken McNuggets or Big Mac get onto your plate.

What I am getting at is this; I want to eat meat, but that doesn't mean that I want to torture animals. That is exactly what is happening in factory farms across the country. So one day, I would like to get back to where I know that the food I eat comes from animals that lived quality lives and were treated with dignity. If this still doesn't make sense, watch the video above (or just watch it if you like Willie Nelson) to see the difference between sustainable farming and the commercial slaughterhouses. Don't forget to turn off the playlist on the right, so you don't have two songs going at once.

________________________________________________________________________

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Cam. That Willie version of Scientist will hopefully make it on the playlist next time I update it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm not all wrapped up in how many chickens are in a coop, if the baby cow can move in a pen etc...BUT I care about taste and quality, I love food, love to cook and love to eat, and factory processed chickens (and their eggs) are flavorless. Supermarket chickens have so much water added that you can't brown them worth a crap. I've started buying pasture raised poultry at a local family farm, and I get farm eggs from a friend. Color, taste, texture, everything is better. Taste and quality is also why I eat tomatos in the local growing season and not in the middle of winter. Market tomatos are flavorless crap, but deep red vine ripened 'maters from my garden have that bold sweet acidic flavor that a tomato should are a thing of beauty. For taste alone I love sustainable local agriculture... as to veal...well if that baby cow went through all that torment for my enjoyment...I won't insult him by not eating him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Redchaser. I know what you mean about the taste. People still think that I have some kind of "special recipe" for my omelets. Which in reality, it's just that they are just fresh eggs and vegetables. It's amazing how many people are clueless about what food is suppose to taste like. I'll have to get your opinion on the my garden this year.

      PS - Check out http://fat-of-the-land.blogspot.com/. I think you will dig it.

      Delete