Tuesday, November 29, 2011

China Cat Sunflower


Sorry for the delay on my posts. I have been running all over the great state of Michigan fishing for steelhead, eating Thanksgiving with the folks, and ultimately driving the point home that pinning is sinning. I caught a few fish and had an overall awesome time. The last day, I got tricked into fishing out of a boat with two guys (who were fun as hell to fish with) who were fishing centerpin rods. I had seen these funny rods plenty of times as a kid and always hated them because they screwed up things for me as a fly fisherman. Needless to say, because of how the boat was always set up and the fact that I had to fish an indicator rod in the only water available to me (the top of runs, only after they ran spawn bags through) made it very difficult.

I still enjoyed fishing that day, but I learned a valuable lesson. If you want to catch fish with a specific tactic (for me, swinging big flies on a two-hander), go fishing with people employing the same tactics. Don't try to convince yourself that "you can make it work", because you ultimately wont. Pick guys that are doing the same thing or go alone. That way you will be on the same page from working the boat to types of water you fish. You also will be able to avoid smelling like bait.

Whatever.... I'll be in Oregon this weekend swinging for steelhead with like-minded friends. All will be right in the world again.

Reports from both will be on the horizon. Stay tuned, kiddos.

____________________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

  1. Swinging is the only way! We is simpatico on that front and on the deadhead front too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Jerry was still alive... he would certainly swing skating flies for summer runs.

    ReplyDelete