Thursday, May 24, 2012

12 Months of Awesomeness: May







Yo dewds. So this month's act of awesomeness is something I always wanted to do, but never had the gusto to actually "pull the trigger" on.

I have never owned a firearm.

Now, I had plenty of pellet guns as a kid, hell... I even shot out the rear windshield of my neighbors car with it (that was also my last day as a pellet gun owner). But I have never owned a real gun that could do more than just shoot squirrels.

My first item of action was to convince my better half that we should have one. She was adamantly opposed to the idea. So I told her about the advantages of having a firearm for when we one day move to the country. I told her about how I have always been enthralled by upland bird hunting, but need a gun to do it. I even tried to tell her we needed one in the case of a zombie apocalypse.... she wasn't buying any of it.

So one new purse, two pairs of shoes and an awesome dinner at her favorite restaurant later.... I am now the proud owner of a Baikal 12-Gauge. Empty beer cans everywhere should be shaking in their boots...

Hopefully this fall, I'll quit just reading about bird hunting, and actually do it. Speaking of which, if you like bird hunting check out my homeboy Smithhammer's blog mouthfulloffeathers.com.

_______________________________________________________________________

6 comments:

  1. Congrats. I sold a very nice Browning 20 gauge side-by-side a few years ago to pay some taxes, and I'm regretting it. My father had three fabulous doubles, two L.C. Smiths and a Ruger Red Label over-under that I thought I'd inherit someday, but he had to sell them (along with the bamboo fly rods) to pay bills. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the bird hunting! If you ever get a chance and a local gun club out there has a sporting clays course or a five stand. Shoot it. It is the best practice there is for hunting. What kind of chokes you got for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog Bro! Will trade flies for Crabapple jelly! Seriously!!!

    Senyo

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ TJ - thanks buddy. That's a bummer on the rods you sold.

    @ anon - I just have the standard 3 in choke that came with it. I don't know much about them. Ha.

    @ Senyo - Right on, dude. You got a jar coming your way this fall. I dig your blog too. Thanks for stopping by. We'll have to swing some files this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol ok. The 3in is your chambering meaning what size shells you can load into it. Chokes go into the end of the barrel to determine the spread of your shot. Once you look into it more you will see how it all works. If it is a choked barrel i would suggest buying an improved cylinder and a modified choke for it.

    ReplyDelete