Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Notre Dame Bass Fishes Better Than You Too...

I'm gonna let you all in on a little secret. Just across the state line from Michigan in South Bend, Indiana lies not only the finest university in all of the land, Notre Dame. But also there lies a myriad of fly fishing options that are so commonly overlooked it's criminal. I've already opined on the great fall smallmouth action on the St Joseph river here. Today I am going to let you in on a little 140 acre secret called Cranberry Lake. This is a place, where according to Josh Lantz (one of the two guides on the lake, along with Jay Anglin), "You can reasonably catch 20 to 50 bass a day," he insisted. "And some will weigh up to eight pounds." 


Normally, that type of bass fishing is reserved for lakes in Texas, Florida or even Mexico. But Northern Indiana is home to one of these prized lakes. Being a private lake, it sees little pressure and pretty much all methods work here. Lucky for us fly dudes/dudettes, Jay and Josh are both fly fishing guides that target them specifically with poppers, streamers and crayfish patterns. 

Next time you are in South Bend for a game or in Chicago for business, look up Jay or Josh for a day of unreal bass fishing. You can reach them at:www.thecranberrylake.com

oh yeah.... GO IRISH!

___________________________________________________________

3 comments:

  1. I might need to think about this next time I head home. I fished Pine Lake in that area years back and caught some nice fish. It's funny, LaPorte was 50 minutes from where I grew up and I only fished it a few times in over two decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that there is a musky haunt near you that I want to check out next summer.

      Delete
  2. There's a couple.. I have access to boats, just sayin

    ReplyDelete